Sunday, March 6, 2011

Nerf Thor Movie Hammer

“Whoever holds the hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor”


Out shopping the other day I came across the new toys for the upcoming Thor movie.  This happened to stand out- a toy Thor hammer (Mjolnir) from Nerf!  This is made from the same foam construction as the newer N-force line.  I noticed that this was located in the action figure section along with the new Marvel figures, so if you are looking, don't look for this in the Nerf section.

The price at ToysRUs was 10.99; very affordable but will probably be under $10 at something like Walmart.  I was so excited, I didn't bother doing comparison shopping and bought it on the spot.  In fact, it was out of the package and pummeling my fiancee before she was able to run to the car.

Moving on to the review:

Aesthetically, this is a great movie replica.  Too many times toys like this are made, but giant logos or cartoonish images are branded on to part.  The Thor Hammer, however, looks like something right out of the comics or movie.  There is some small print 'warnings' on one edge and some Runic writing along the top (which I will get translated in the near future).

The whole head of the hammer is the Nerf n-force style foam, with the shaft a hard plastic core with a tough outer layer.  The bottom of the shaft has about a half inch of padding, but not enough for a pommel strike.  Unlike the Klaw hatchet, this Nerf weapon is significantly thick.  The head of the hammer may be foam but has enough mass that it can still hit with authority.  Not so much that it is not child safe, but you'll know you've been tagged.

The only downside I can see with this is the handle could be a little longer.  I may be biased in this because 1) I am used to martial arts training with long weapons and/or 2) I am an adult and, let's face it, these are really made for kids.  The nine year old brother in law thought this was the coolest and had to charge everyone in the house...

Overall, I would have to rate this pretty high but admit to much of that being a huge Marvel fanboy.  I have had some time handling the N-force weapons, and plenty of martial arts sparring weapons of all levels and this is pretty decent quality.  The short handle means one would have to be close with a target and if they have a blaster or even one of the other N-force, you will be at a disadvantage.  However, its just COOL :-)

I'm looking forward to some HvZ wars this summer; the Thor Hammer will be partnered with my Barricade (now modded up).

1 comment:

  1. Actually Norse mythology tells that the great weakness of Thor's Hammer, Mjolnir, was that it had a short handle. So it's entirely appropriate for the toy to share this fault.

    ReplyDelete